|Location:||Silver Spring, MD|
Related Titles: Bookkeeper; Accounting Assistant
Reports to: Deputy Controller
Supervises: No supervisory duties are included in this position.
Education and/or Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration.
• Minimum of three years accounting or bookkeeping experience, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger and financial reports.
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectations
• Ability to operate computer and other general office equipment.
• Familiarity with generally accepted accounting principles.
• Knowledge of and ability to perform required role during emergency situations.
Job Summary (Essential Functions) Creates financial transactions and generates financial reports from that information. The creation of financial transactions includes posting information to accounting journals or accounting software from source documents as invoices to members and guests, cash receipts and supplier invoices. The bookkeeper also reconciles accounts to ensure their accuracy.
• Maintains journals, checks registers, bank reconciliations, accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventories, general journal, payroll and personnel files, excise tax reports, depreciation accounts, and financial statements.
• Produces computer reports including accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger and monthly financial statements.
• Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts.
• Collects all cash and receipts from all cash registers.
• Prepares and makes bank deposits.
• Reconciles all bank statements.
• Manages the petty cash fund.
• Maintains an orderly accounting and filing system.
• Maintains the chart of accounts.
• Audits and pays all conference center bills and invoices after approval for payment.
• Maintains employees’ time and attendance, absentee and leave records.
• Administers the billing and collection of fees.
• Prepares inventory worksheet and crosschecks prices paid with bid quotations and invoice prices.
• Prepares quarterly and annual tax reports and excise tax reports.
• Provides financial management information for the Controller, General Manager, and President.
• Assists Controller on all matters related to computer applications, annual and special audits, insurance and employment records.
• Answers client’s questions regarding billing.
• Maintains accurate records of vendor invoices.
• Assists in preparation of other accounting reports and helps Controller as necessary.
• Generates point-of-sale (POS) reports from revenue centers.
• Attends departmental and training meetings.
• Completes other appropriate assignments made by the supervisor.